Monday, August 24, 2015

Afternoon tea in the Shelbourne Hotel

Today is my birthday and, as a surprise, Brian booked afternoon tea for me in the Shelbourne Hotel. He told me about it a week in advance though. Phew! I had time to make sure I was looking presentable and not like an addled cat lady who lives in a cave. I love the Shelbourne Hotel. There's nothing I enjoy more than a cocktail in the bar there after shopping. We had lunch in The Saddle Room after we registered our marriage. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced in the set menu. I have always admired the Egyptian style statues outside. The hotel is tastefully decorated and not over the top at all. The staff are well trained and attentive. It is actually one of my favourite places in Dublin.
We were given a choice of champagne first. I ordered a glass of the Veuve Clicquot rose.
We then went on to choose from their array of teas. I went with my old favourite Earl Grey (he has helped me through many a crisis!). The tea is loose leaf and the pot is refreshed frequently so that it doesn't stew too much.
A platter of sandwiches was then brought out. Dainty sandwiches always taste nicer. Everything about them was delicate and delicious.
There were more than two sandwiches. Unfortunately, I had scoffed most of them before I remembered to take a photo. Finally, the sweets were brought out. On the bottom layer there was fruit cake and scones. These were served with jam and clotted cream. The top layer was an elaborate affair! My favourite had merrangues, a creme anglaise and a jelly made of Veuve Clicquot rose (my Chivers jellies just look shabby now). It was fresh and light. There was a coconut pearl and a pistachio and raspberry concoction. There was also a heavy dark chocolate and raspberry affair but that was a little too much for me in the end.
It was a most enjoyable way to pass the afternoon. When we had finished they came over with a special plate just for me. I was a little over-excited and may have been a little over-the-top in my enthusiasm!
I had a fantastic day. When we got home I had to put on some loose trousers and relax. It is past 7pm now and I am still so stuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment