Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Coconut Oil

Coconut has been raved about on the internet for some time now. People treat it like it has magical powers in some cases. I am not going to go into the nutritional aspect of coconut oil as I don't feel qualified to give an opinion regarding that. I do use coconut oil regularly in my cooking. I don't use it for everything. I could never give up olive oil as my staple oil. However, I will use coconut oil in a curry, stir fry or granola. It has to match with the meal in my opinion.
This is the brand of coconut oil that I use. It is organic and raw. I found that it was really expensive in the health food shops. I buy it in the oil aisle of my local Supervalu and it costs aproximately six euro. I keep a tub in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in the baby's bedroom.
When it comes to cosmetic uses of coconut oil I am OBSESSED. I have used it for fifteen years in my hair. I have very coarse, rough hair so I put a good handful in when my hair is wet. I also top up throughout the week with a small amount of coconut oil on dry hair. If you have regular hair it could be used as a treatment but may be too heavy to leave in. I also love to use it as a body moisturiser. I usually fill my bathroom sink with hot water and submerge the tub while I shower. After my shower the oil has melted to a liquid consistency and is easy to apply. It is great for getting rid of keratosis pilaris (or, annoying arm bumps as I call them).For baby I dissove a handful of oil into his bath water. I also use it as a massage oil for him and as a barrier cream during nappy changes. I like knowing that it is completely natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment