Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Shatshuka

Today is Brian's birthday so I wanted to make him a new breakfast that he's never had before. I've been reading a good bit about shatshuka online so I decided to try it out.
This is a middle Eastern dish and is a bit similar to huevos rancheros. My ingredients were: 5 tomatoes, 2 eggs, half an onion (diced), half a clove of garlic (minced), half a green pepper, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, half a teaspoon of paprika, half a teaspoon of cumin and a pinch of Cayenne pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.
I used my cast iron pan to make it. I fried the onion in some rapeseed oil until soft. Then I added the garlic and then the green pepper. When the pepper has softened add the tomato paste and the tomatoes (chopped into cubes).
Then add all the spices, stir in and let the tomatoes cook down into a sauce. Be careful not to burn them!
Crack the eggs on top of the tomato sauce.
Put a lid on top and let them cook for ten to fifteen minutes (depending on how you like your eggs).
I served it with pitta bread. The portion was quite large so I think this would work well for two people. Just add two more eggs.
Brian's verdict is that it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment