Saturday, November 14, 2015

Super easy tomato soup

I have been living on this since the weather got colder. It's great when I haven't gone food shopping and the cupboards are a bit bare. It uses tinned tomatoes and a chicken stock cube which I wouldn't normally use. I do feel like I'm cheating a bit with it but it tastes great regardless.
I fry an onion in some rapeseed oil. To this I add black pepper and either dried oregano or fresh basil. I never use dried basil. I think it tastes awful. When the onion is cooked I add one clove of garlic and fry for a minute. I add two tins of plum tomatoes. I fill one tin with water and add that. Then I add the chicken stock cube. I let it cook for about half an hour and then I blend it. I used to add more water and then thicken it with a roux but this is much easier. You can serve this with some crusty bread, fresh basil and a swirl of cream. I had none of those items in the house today though so it is just plain in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment