Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Paella

This is my easy paella recipe. I created it after years of eating both good and bad paella. I know what I like in one and I know what I dislike in one. It's a process so I will be including lots of pictures. Don't forget to season the paella adequately as it should be salty. If you don't season it the paella tastes really bland and drab. The most important thing is to have all of your ingredients ready to go before you start. This is particularly important if you haven't made this before.
Ingredients: olive oil, 4 chicken legs, mussels, prawns, squid, clams (optional), 4 - 5 tomatoes, a carrot, an onion, one clove of garlic, a pinch of saffron, two bay leaves, turmeric, salt, rice (half a cup per person), boiling water (double the amount of rice you are using). I use a paellera which is a special dish but there is no need for one really. Any large frying pan is good. Fry the squid first in olive oil.
When it is cooked remove it and set it aside. While you are frying the squid cut the meat from the bones of the chicken legs. Cut into small pieces.
Fry both the meat and the bones. The bones give great flavour. You can remove the bones at the end if you like. Add the bay leaves and saffron.
Finely chop the onion and add. Add salt. Finely chop the garlic and add. Grate the carrot and add to the pan. This gives a lovely sweetness to the paella. Slice the tomatoes finely and add to the pan.
I like to fry everything until the tomatoes have cooked down a bit. At this point I would clean the mussels and boil them in a separate pot until they open, remove them from the water, discard any unopened mussels and set aside with the squid. Then add the rice to your paella. I like to stir it in so that it absorbs the juices.
Then add the water. This is another good time to season your paella. I add a teaspoon of turmeric at this point. This is a bit controversial but it really deepens the flavour and adds to the colour of the rice. Stir it all together and allow it to simmer until a good deal of the liquid has been absorbed.
When the water has almost all soaked in add the squid and mussels. Stir in and add the prawns. I lay them on top in a pattern.
Cover the paella with the lid of a pot and cook for a further ten mins. Don't worry if it gets stuck to the bottom of the pan. In Spain that burnt bit is considered the best part. Garnish with lemon wedges and check for seasoning - salt only! Never use pepper in a paella. It's just wrong.
Ta da! Delicious paella just for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment