Saturday, August 6, 2016

French Toast Casserole

I LOVE French toast!!!! Unfortunately, I'm not a morning person. I googled loads of French toast casseroles but they all seemed really unhealthy and sugary so I just made up my own. It's very easy and Saturday mornings are now a delicious breeze. I use brioche rolls. I slice them in half and arrange them in a casserole dish. In the middle I add a punnet of raspberrys.
This adds sweetness and a lovely tart note. I add a second layer of brioche and sprinkle with cinnamon.
I make a custard. I beat three eggs with a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't have any today and it still tasted amazing). I add three quarters of a cup of whole milk (you can add some cream if you want to make it richer).
I pour this over the brioche and wrap it tightly in cling film.
This goes into the fridge overnight. The next morning I remove the cling film and cover it in tin foil. Make sure you cut a cross into the foil to let the steam escape. I put it in the oven at 200 degrees for half an hour. I then remove the tin foil and bake it for another ten minutes.
Then I put a punnet of fresh raspberries and blueberries on top. It looks fantastic.
We ate ours outside in the shade as it was a beautiful day with a side of watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment